Re: [xml-dev] Holographic XML

  Regardless of what Wikipedia says, I've actually made holograms
before.   The old fashioned way with lasers and film.
The hologram film stores the interference pattern.   This cannot be
stored (easily) on strictly 2D film.
The film has a thickness of photoactive material that is required to
store the interference pattern.
It does not store one 'dot per pixel'.  It requires a thichkness of
material all of which is photosensitive in order to record
the entire interference pattern at each x/y coordinate.   You cant store
holograms on normal photographic film.
Interestingly, this is why its so difficult to create holograms
digitally. You cant use a regular printer to produce them,
and the calculations are in 3D not 2D.  That, and its a difficult
transformation to take a 3D image and construct the interference
pattern needed to reconstruct the image.   Its possible though.    But
its computational expensive and I am aware of no
output technology currently that can do it.  (You cant print the darn
things !) .
( Do note that holography is not the same thing as stereo images making
the "3D" movies today").

Now there is a kind of 'fake holography' made if embossed diffraction
gratings which is effectively 2D (ignoring the fact they are 'embossed',
sorta like a vinal record, the data is effectively 2d).  These were
popular back in the 70s on cerial boxes and toys.
But they are not true holograms, the quality is extremely low and the
range of angles of view is very low and discrete.

--
David A. Lee
dlee@calldei.com