Re: [xml-dev] Holographic XML

So maybe something like this would be considered '3D' rather than '2D'
(but it might need RelaxNG):

Given a rather 2D instance or fragment

<a>
	<b>
		<c/>
		<d/>
		<e/>
	</b>
</a>

Adding some multiple occurance moves in the direction of looking more 3D

<a>
	<b>
		<c/>
		<d/>
		<e/>
	</b>
	<b>
		<c/>
		<d/>
		<e/>
	</b>
</a>

but the occurances are only linked by having the same parent and the
exact same structure
Nevertheless there is an axis of position b[x]. Even 3D still needs
some freedom of variability
in one or more of those dimensions which accentuates that dimension; a
cylinder isn't a huge
step into the third dimension from a circle - what we need is a sphere
to make it look truly 3D.

So add some variability by allowing b to be replaced by any
'derivative' of b - 'b1' - and c with a
derivative of c (c1, etc). Also let it be allowed that b1 can be
replaced with a derivative of b1
called b2. The derivative rules might be constrained using a schema language.

<a>
	<b>
		<c/>
		<d/>
		<e/>
	</b>
	<b1>
		<c/>
		<d/>
		<e/>
		<f/>
	</b1>
	<b2>
		<c1/>
		<d/>
		<e/>
		<f/>
	</b2>
</a>

Now there is a relationship between b and b1 and between b1 and b2 in
that the structural
constraints are related (by derivation).

I guess you could say this is still 2D but you have several fragments,
each related to the
others by derivation between their structures (the constraints on
their structures) and by
their common parent and by their positions as children within the a
sequence of children.
Thus there are two orderings going on at the same time - position
(a/*[1], a/*[2], etc)
and order of derivation (b1 derives from b so it follows b in
structure, b2 derives from b1
so it follows b1 in structure). Having two axes like this is a kind of
conceptual 3D which
might be what people are after when they say some XML is too 2D.

Best regards

Steve
---
Stephen D Green