Re: [xml-dev] Venetian Blinds vs Garden of Eden patterns for industrystandards XML Schemas

On 28/10/2010 11:16, Pete Cordell wrote:

> The approach mirrors JSON's response to "there's nothing like XML
> namespaces in JSON."

Not really, I think not using namespaces at all is a reaonable approach
as is defining all related elements to be in the same namespace, but the
elementFormDefault feature of XSD is one of its more bizarre quirks,
especially as it defaults to the form that, as you have observed, is
very rarely used.

> I think the issue is that the interpretation of a element depends on the
> context provided by the parent and XSLT and other XPath technologies
> have difficulty with that.

XPath has no difficulty referencing an element in no namespace that is
the child of an element in a namespace, just ns1:foo/x but if you need
the namespace to uniquely identifu x then it's more natural to put it in
the relevant namespace, and if you don't need a namespace because the
use is clear from the context then why put the parent element in a
namespace?

David