Re: [xml-dev] Venetian Blinds vs Garden of Eden patterns for industry standards XML Schemas

Original Message From: "G. Ken Holman"
> At 2010-10-28 14:32 +0100, Pete Cordell wrote:
>>Hi David,
>>
>>It should be ns1:root/a/b/ns2:root/b as Philip says because in the scheme
>>I described a and b were unqualified.  As such there's no difference in
>>name between b in ns1 and b in ns2 as there would be if they were
>>qualified.
>>
>>I think Philip is right about the issues.  It's down to the limitations in
>>XPath expressibility.  You need to say something like: b whose qualified
>>parent is in namespace ns1.  Sort of   b[qualified-parent-ns()=ns1]!
>
> b[parent::ns1:*]
>
> ... or if you are matching nodes:
>
>  ns1:*/b

My XPath knowledge is very weak, but does that allow for matching 'b' in the
'tree' of:

ns1:root/a/b  ?

I had guessed that ns1:*//b might be better, but I think that expression
would match both 'b's in the Philip's 'tree' of:

ns1:root/a/b/ns2:root/b

Yours confused,

Pete Cordell
Codalogic Ltd
Interface XML to C++ the easy way using C++ XML
data binding to convert XSD schemas to C++ classes.
Visit http://codalogic.com/lmx/ or http://www.xml2cpp.com
for more info