Re: [xml-dev] XML Schema 1.1 validator is here today!

On 30/10/2010 18:18, Costello, Roger L. wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> XML Schema 1.1 is powerful.
>
> There is now an XML Schema 1.1 validator that fully supports the XML Schema 1.1 functionality:
>
>      SAXON version 9.3
>
> Today I used it to validate every example in my XML Schema 1.1 tutorial. It is awesome!
>
> Here is the latest version of my XML Schema 1.1 tutorial:
>
>      http://www.xfront.com/xml-schema-1-1/
>
> /Roger
>
> Note: Michael Kay reports that version 9.3 has "near-completion support" of XML Schema 1.1. By golly, I haven't been able to find any XSD 1.1 functionality that it doesn't support.
Thanks for trying it out and for your favourable assessment.

A detailed statement of what's covered and what isn't is here:

http://www.saxonica.com/documentation/conformance/schema11.xml

The biggest gap is probably the second restriction described -
information presented to the XPath expression that tests assertions on
complex types is currently untyped.

There's at least one restriction that doesn't seem to have made it onto
this page - with conditional type assignment, there's no check that the
CTA rules for a subtype are consistent with the rules for the base type.

But there are probably other restrictions caused by the absence of a
mature test suite - currently the only tests I have run are those I
wrote myself (and submitted to W3C), and many of the gaps will only be
revealed when the product is run against independently-written tests. It
seems Mukul Gandhi has started running another implementation against
the Saxonica tests, though, which will help greatly in finding the kind
of bugs where both the product and the test are wrong.

Michael Kay
Saxonica