Re: [xml-dev] Whither XML ?

* Michael Kay wrote:
>I've heard suggestions that this can't be done for security reasons. I
>don't believe that; if programmability can be offered through
>Javascript, then I believe it can also be offered in a way that is
>programming-language independent. It just needs a virtual machine inside
>a sand-box - preferably not a rigid sand-box, but some kind of security
>architecture whereby the access of an application to resources on the
>user machine is firmly under the user's control.

There are quite a number of projects by now that compile the language of
your choice down to the JavaScript instruction set, if you will. The
Google Web Toolkit for instance, or Pyjamas. Even for C and C++ there
are ongoing efforts, http://code.google.com/p/nativeclient/ for one, and
http://code.google.com/p/emscripten/ as another.