Re: [xml-dev] XML Schema 1.1 Best Practice: Expressing BusinessRules - Co-Locate or Separate?

On 10/11/2010 13:38, Costello, Roger L. wrote:
> Issue
>
> How should business rules be expressed? Should an XML Schema 1.1 document co-locate business rules and data rules? Or keep them separate?

First define your terms (you haven't done so, except by example). I'm
not convinced there's a real difference. Unless perhaps your definition
of "data constraint" is to say "there are many ways we could represent
this information, and this is the way we have chosen" - e.g. that all
dimensions should be expressed in cm - so the maximum size of a parcel
is a business constraint, and the way the size is represented is a data
constraint. But the boundary between the two is likely to be a fuzzy one
much of the time.

Michael Kay
Saxonica