Re: [xml-dev] DOM versus XDM: Differences in handling CDATA sections,entities, and concurrency

Costello, Roger L. wrote:

> ------------------------------ ENTITIES: DOM VERSUS XDM
> ------------------------------
>
> This XML document uses an entity:
>
> <root> hello if A &lt; B then ... world </root>
>
> DOM and XDM represent entities differently:
>
> - A DOM tree will have a node for the entity, as evidenced by the
> fact that the DOM API has a method for accessing entities [4]. Here
> is a graphic I created to show the DOM tree of the XML document:
>
> http://www.xfront.com/DOM-versus-XDM/DOM-implementation-of-entities.gif

To cite your cited ([4]) document: "Note that character references and
references to predefined entities are considered to be expanded by the
HTML or XML processor so that characters are represented by their
Unicode equivalent rather than by an entity reference".

So in the above sample I expect the "root" element to simply have one
text child node with the nodeValue " hello if A < B then ... world ".
That is also how browsers like Mozilla or Opera or Safari implement that.

--

	Martin Honnen
	http://msmvps.com/blogs/martin_honnen/