Re: [xml-dev] Does the W3C allow "reference implementations"?

I suspect two kinds of motivations behind the ISO ban against reference implementations:

1) The most official: allowing a reference implementation could be interpreted as designating a "reference vendor" and ISO is vendor-neutral (... sometimes);

2) The most hidden one: without reference implementation, endless debates are allowed about conformance against complex XML standards, nobody is wrong when two ISO-compliant implementation are mutually incompatibles... and ISO can fly above the real life.