Re: [xml-dev] James Clark: XML versus the Web

I agree 100%, and it feels to me as if the XML community is the last to know.  This is right along the lines of what I've delurked to point out in the past couple of months or so.  I think many of us who were the biggest cheerleaders and implementers in XML during the early days, for the precise reason James Clark mentions, got turned off in recent years as the various spec-makers complicated everything to hell, forgetting the lessons of CORBA, DCE, EDI etc.  I am reminded of folks like Daniel Veillard and the Firefox brower developers from whom I heard in one form or another: XML? CSS? XPath 1.0? Cool ideas basically, but what's all this other madness they're shoving into the same box?

I think the unfortunate reality right now is that XML has become enterprisey, and that just doesn't suit the Web.  JSON has flaws of its own, but it is simple.  XML will probably always have a place for me, but only at the shallowest layer, where it still provides the important benefits James lists.

--Uche