Re: [xml-dev] RE: James Clark: XML versus the Web

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 9:17 PM, Kurt Cagle <kurt.cagle@gmail.com> wrote:

> BTW, I'd also agree with Dave Pawson's point here. Maybe it's time to reinvent the wheel with an SXML. We know what worked and what didn't. We still have a fundamental disconnect between XML and Javascript that needs to be addressed, and attempting to do it within the rubric and process of XML looks to be a non-starter.
> Some areas that I'd like to see -
>
> Creating a unified XML/JSON layer, including agreed upon serializations and working to extend both XML and JSON to be fully transferable.
> Creating a consistent mechanism for the depiction of both closed ontologies (XML) and open ontologies (RDF/OWL).
> Creating a consistent path/query layer between the syntactic (XQuery) and the semantic (SPARQL)
> Working with ECMA and the browser and mobile vendors to provide a universal first class SXML representation.
> A rethinking of distributed linking systems, especially in light of the emergence of RESTful architectures
>
> These are big areas. They'll require that people check in preconceived notions at the door, and they will require champions that will be willing to both put in the effort to be the reference implementors and to defend the specifications from being co-opted by a given vendor.

I have nothing useful to add, but I would like to state that this
thread contains some of the most clear minded thinking about XML and
the future that I have seen come out of this mailing list in a long
time. Kudos to all who have contributed, I really, really hope that
someone can move this forward!

--
Peter Hunsberger