Re: [xml-dev] RE: James Clark: XML versus the Web

I agree that a simplified XML would be very nice (DTDs are an anachronism as far as I'm concerned).  Furthermore, I would suggest
cleaning up, simplifying, and improving XML APIs.  Because of lack of reasonable libraries and performance issues on Android: I
recently wrote a DOM-like API that was specifically targeted to having the simplest possible Java API while being very powerful and
efficient.  This included the bare minimum XPath support and an important added feature of being able to easily get fully parseable
XML (with namespace declarations) for any XML node.  I wrote my own SAX parser in a day to support it.  The whole thing,
XML/mini-XPath/SAX, is about 1000 lines of portable Java code.  (Yes, I'll open source it as soon as I have permission from this
client.)

Perhaps it is helpful to think of "application" XML vs. PDF / Word-like document XML.  There are many things that occur in the
latter that make no sense in the former.  This came up repeatedly in the W3C EXI (and earlier XBC) working groups.

Stephen