Re: [xml-dev] Towards XML 2.0

I added the following comments on Elliotte's proposal (I'm not sure where
the best place for such a discussion is):

_Neurotic and psychotic documents_

I'm not sure that limiting namespace declarations to the root element is
that important, but my experience is that it would help if all namespace
prefixes were declared before any other attributes in a start tag.  This
reduces the amount you have to look ahead in event driven code.

_White space preservation_

I think the default should be to preserve white space, even in attributes.
The application can decide to discard it with methods like
getTextCollapse(), getTextReplace() and getTextPreserve().  By removing
white space you're modifying the data and I don't see that what is
effectively a transit layer should have the authority to do that.

_More entities_

I disagree with including more built-in entities.  Getting the characters
that you want in a document should be an editor issue and not an XML issue.

In the area of entities, the choice of '&' as the escape character seems
very unfortunate.  It's too late to change this, but I think the character
sequences '&', '>', '<', '&apos', and '"' should cause the
replacement they currently do, but any other sequence following an '&'
character should have no special meaning.  Thus, if you type '& then', your
parser returns '& then' rather than an error.

_Data Structures and Types_

I like the idea of xml:type, but I think it's only required for complex
types when mirroring the functionality of polymorphism.  It's not required
for simple types.  If an application doesn't know what an 'X' is, then
knowing that it is an 'int' is not really going to help it.

_Comments_

I would allow -- (two dashes) to appear in comments.  There's no benefit to
not allowing -- and it reduces the surprises that a novice user might
encounter.  (In fact 'A minimum of surprises' should be an XML 2.0 axiom!)

I think the XML 2.0 spec should have a 'Compatibility' section in it that
says if you want your XML 2.0 document to be valid XML 1.0, then take note
of the following ... .  One of the things it would mention is comments.

HTH,

Pete Cordell
Codalogic Ltd
Interface XML to C++ the easy way using C++ XML
data binding to convert XSD schemas to C++ classes.
Visit http://codalogic.com/lmx/ or http://www.xml2cpp.com
for more info