Re: [xml-dev] XML as salvage yard (was RE: James Clark: XML versusthe Web)

I am watching this and other threads with sadness.

Why?

Because we have often been presented with ideas, some of them good, to
improve XML.

And nothing happened...

This discussion is no different than the previous ones -- in the
outcome that didn't and will not happen.

What I want to see is not a complete, grandiose plan then a Big Bang
to produce it -- the Big Bang may have happened only once and nobody
has actually seen it.

What I want to see is *starting* with the implementation of small
steps at a time, of just one first step --  beyond talking.

The critical missing part in this discussion is how to materialize the
good ideas that have surfaced.

Is it possible to have individual(s) that would implement series of
incremental improvements? Improvements that would quickly gain
critical mass of users to become de-facto standards?

Because if not, all the talks are stirring deep waters with a teaspoon.

Here is my challenge:

As a start, take one obvious improvement, implement it for everybody.

Then go on with the next one.

But just stop only talking.

The big problem is that something more than talking *has* to start.

To be specific, as a first step produce XML-N1 where the default
namespace is abolished. Something not so difficult and challenging,
that eliminates 40% of the questions we see in forums. So much time
will be saved, satisfaction increased, trust and acceptance gained.
*Now*, this is something.

Then face in turn XML-N2 --> XML-N3 -->... XML-Nk...

Most important, stop talking and get started, then never stop while
successful. Keep moving.

--
Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev