Re: [xml-dev] NextXML.org - a working space.

After all the discussion, I tend to like Elliotte's approach best (http://cafe.elharo.com/xml/xml-2-0/).  I work on long term archival standards in the A&D space (http://www.asd-stan.org/Lotar.html) and we design in the standards the notion of "conformance classes".

My interepretation of Elliotte's approach is that he wants a conformance class of XML - a strict subset (or at least with minimal extensions), but a subset that carries official weight that can be a coded to and conformance with tested and measured.

I agree that such an approach would have a high likelihood of success and has the advantage of (large?) compatibility with existing tools and processes - not too disruptive, but offering significant productivity to the community.