Why I liked XLink (was XML vs. the Web)

Roger Costello asked:                   (at 5:10AM, 12/6/2010)

> Would you expand upon what you are thinking on this issue please?

And then went on to show examples of relationships within documents,
something I mostly lack interest in.  I work with them constantly,
create them daily, and think about them constantly, but for my
(document-centric) purposes they're an uninteresting and largely solved
problem.

What does interest me is links between documents, or more broadly, links
between resources.  Yes, this overlaps with links between parts of
documents, but it generally feels like a different question.  It has a
greater opportunity to be a layer separate from documents.

XLink occupies/d a middle ground between the simple "point from a place
in a doc to somewhere else" of HTML and the tremendously powerful
"create infinite collections of linked resources" of RDF and Topic Maps.
  For many purposes, RDF and Topic Maps are drastic overkill, but HTML
links aren't nearly enough.

I'm not sure what it is about hypertext that is such fertile ground for
endless visions of abstracted links.  I'm grateful to Tim Berners-Lee
for bypassing that with the simple  a href=  mechanism, but I hope that
eventually we can get to something more powerful that remains concrete,
tightly connected to the resources it links.

Thanks,
--
Simon St.Laurent
http://simonstl.com/