Re: [xml-dev] Simplicity Rocks

On 9 Dec 2010, at 9:49 AM, Pete Cordell wrote:

> Someone mentioned script-kiddies on the list.  Actually I think the world is turning into code-kiddies.  The new model seems to be, stumble into problem, do Google search, download sample code, move onto next problem.  People don't take 6 months to learn a technology before using it.

That's certainly the reality I see more and more frequently these days, and it doesn't matter if it's a low-cost, offshore outsourcer or one of the "Big N" consultancies.

Still, I think if we get enough people standing on the beach yelling "No!!" to the tidal wave, maybe we'll at least be heard for the fleeting moment before we're overwhelmed and washed away.  Hopefully, there will still always be an active, vocal, intelligent and productive minority producing robust systems and software based on proven foundational principles.

We'll just have to wait and see how that all actually works out. ;)

Come, Sancho!  We must be off.  There are systems to be saved!

ast
--
Andrew S. Townley <ast@atownley.org>
http://atownley.org