Re: [xml-dev] Is "Hand Authoring" XML still a critical use case ?

I think the ability to hand author XML efficiently is still a good
quality to seek. Even if people start off with a higher level tool
they often get down to the raw XML syntax once they're more familiar
with the XML schema they're authoring.

Part of the problem with writing current XML at the 'angle brackets'
level, is that most of the editing tools are effectively general
purpose text editors with syntax coloring and a bit of
intellisense/auto-completion thrown in.

They reveal their text-editor roots in how they manage indentation
using padding characters. As soon as you try to copy and paste a few
elements around, all indentation goes to pot and you're left hunting
for the 'pretty print' button again. Should you switch to another
editor, you'll probably find said indentation needs adjusting again.
This would be just about tolerable, were it not for the fact that XML
often hosts other languages and formats that require their own
indentation to be comprehensible, compounding the issue. I guess this
issue isn't so significant to others because my previous post to this
list on the subject [Why many XML Editors don't preserve whitespace
nodes] got no replies.

There must be a 'sweet-spot' where the editing tool provide the
low-level access to syntax (i.e. not a tree-view editor), but without
the repetitive chores of tidying up XML all the time. I'm not
convinced any single tool yet presents XML for low-level editing in an
optimal way, so, in addition to the hunt for an simpler XML, I'd still
like to see more investment in tools for the current XML standard,
which would make lift a lot simpler for XML authors.

One of the interesting problems in writing a 'padding free' XML editor
to work with existing files would be identifying and stripping those
padding characters previously inserted by existing XML serialisers or
editors...

Phil Fearon
http://qutoric.com