Re: [xml-dev] Is "Hand Authoring" XML still a critical use case ?

I'm glad you chimed in, because content producers' interests clearly
aren't strongly represented in this list.  Also, since I'm on record
with all kinds of anti-DTD statements now, let me just clarify a bit: I
don't want to see DTDs go away.  Believe me, we're waaay happier when we
get XML (of the sort you describe - prosy) from folks who use a DTD than
when we get XML from folks who don't know what one is or care about
validation.  And we *read* the DTD's - they are an incredibly useful
tool for understanding new content structures. What my position is, and
I think it represents a sub-consensus among the programmer camp at
least, is that DTDs should be like other schemas - used in the ways you
described; for validation; for informing editing tools, and for
documenting document structure, but not to have the special normative
status that they have now as part of the XML specification.

In particular the unique requirements enforced on parsers and XML
document structure aren't really absolutely necessary: entity resolution
in particular, and maybe if we could have xml:id instead of needing to
validate in order to generate ID-ness, and I just learned about
something called attribute default values - umm it's those things -
basically I *think* if we can strip down XML to a state where validation
is separated from the document (but it will still be ok to have a hint
in a PI or something so long as it isn't *required* to be hunted down at
parse time) and essentially the key part of the document is the stuff
inside the root element, then I think we can *all* have what we need
with considerably less sweat.

I think a lot of the things we've been talking about are painful for
content producers as well as consumers: often our pain gets reflected
back up the chain anyway.  I bet editors just love it when we tell them
- well we can't do anything with that document you just sent us - it
isn't even XML! Just because there's an extra blank line at the
beginning of the document, or - the DOCTYPE declaration lacks a proper
sequence of identifiers (when we're basically going to ignore it
anyway), or - we can't resolve the entities (which are bog-standard ISO
entities, anyway, but have to be redefined or reimported in every DTD)
because the DTD isn't structured properly, or didn't come with the
content.  That's the kind of conversation I'd like to eliminate.

-Mike