Re: [xml-dev] Is "Hand Authoring" XML still a critical use case ?

On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 13:46:58 -0500
"David Lee" <dlee@calldei.com> wrote:

> > Take an example.   Does ANYONE  "Hand Author" Word or PDF
> > documents ?   I think not.
>
> I'd disagree there David. The most common text authoring tool perhaps?
>
> Or did you mis-write that?
> ------------------
>
> I mis-wrote or you mis-understood.
>
> People don't author "In the Word Format"
> They author "Using The Word Application".
>
> If you ever open up a .doc file and look inside (even the modern ones
> that are ziped XML) you will scream.
> I don't think anyone authors in that format.  They use Word
> Application. And let the application worry about the document format.

Far too subtle for me David :-)
But yes, I agree.
Word uses 'styles' for markup.
What would you have an editor use when producing XML?
oXygen has a good go at it, but it's always hard to
know the right insertion point, just as with Word.

> I guess you're missing the obvious benefit of Word authoring?
> The author can make it look how he/she wants? That's meaningful
> to many authors.

> --------------
>
> That *IS* my point.
> People want to use a Word-Like or Actually-Word  *application*.
> I understand complely the benefit of that.
> What I'm suggesting is the lack of the equivilent for authoring in XML
> Format but "Act Like Word" application.
> (YEs I know there are some tools like Oxygen ... but IMHO not enough
> and not good enough).

I can't but agree with you, but this is off topic for this thread.

regards

--

regards

--