Re: [xml-dev] XML 2 so far

On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 20:42:50 -0500, Liam R E Quin wrote:

[big snip]

> What did I miss?

Namespace-related proposals.  :-)  Even if you don't care for them,
they've been a significant part of the traffic.

> People have talked about every well-formed XML 2 document also being
> an XML 1 document, or (more controversially) about having a well-defined
> conversion.

I think that this design is a big win.  The reason?  You don't have to
write a new parser in order to benefit.  For this to work, there has to
be value to document creators (and low-cost entry to document
manipulators, which is probably true-ish for the dynamic languages more
so than for the strictly-typed crowd), but it would mean that the cost
of adoption would be radically lower than the cost of wholesale
replacement.  Moreover, with a single (smallish) transformer/converter
dropped into the pipeline, existing tools would continue to work.
Adoption would then be driven by folks finding value in the modified
syntax, driving the parser and processor developers to consider
adoption.  I think it's an attractive model for evolutionary
development of a document format, set of APIs, and collection of
processors that are in widespread, effective use.

The permitted changes *are* thus limited, though.  Things like
namespaces, minimization, and probably some comment sorts of changes
would be possible.  Changes to DTD support are less clearly possible.
Basically, anything that can map one-to-one to XML 1.0 would be fine
(note that it would *not* be necessary to map XML 1.0 to the new
format--so this would mostly be wart removal and bug avoidance, not
massive functionality enhancement).

Amy!
--
Amelia A. Lewis                    amyzing {at} talsever.com
  "Ruby fruit jungle?"