Re: [xml-dev] XML 2.0/Green or XMLE

I too think a green computing initiative is worth looking at.  As I
understand it, computing's carbon footprint is roughly the same as that as
air travel (2%).  As an industry we tend not to be bothered about saving a
few % of efficiency, but maybe it's time to realise that all those fractions
of a percent could add up to real savings (which often make business sense,
not just green sense).

I think James Clark's uXML covers most of the points you raise here so I'm
hoping that will go forward.  I think we do still have to recognise that
humans interact with XML, so I would keep the 5 main predefined entities.
For the same reason I'd also keep allowing " and ' to delimit attribute
values.  My experience is that that flexibility represents very little code
to implement.

I wonder whether we'll see custom uXML hardware designed for super energy
efficient message handling from which you can pull XML events from at the
SAX level of granularity?

Interesting times!

Pete Cordell
Codalogic Ltd
Interface XML to C++ the easy way using C++ XML
data binding to convert XSD schemas to C++ classes.
Visit http://codalogic.com/lmx/ or http://www.xml2cpp.com
for more info