Re: [xml-dev] RE: James Clark: XML versus the Web

On 12/15/10 8:01 PM, Henri Sivonen wrote:
> Which implementations support a reflecting incremental input updates in the output? Given everything that XSLT lets you do, how can the contribution of a piece of input to the output be tracked in a practical way?

Microsoft's InfoPath works this way, using XSLT to establish 2-way
bindings between the source XML and the HTML editing view. So did Ephox
EditLive! for XML (now defunct?). I haven't used Xopus, but I hear that
it also uses XSLT in this same way.

There are some constraints on how you must write the XSLT to get the
bindings to work (InfoPath also uses additional annotations on the
XSLT), but nothing too onerous. I believe in all of the above cases only
XSLT 1.0 is supported. XSLT 2.0 poses additional challenges, what with
the ability to create temporary result trees and what not.

Evan
--
Evan Lenz
Lenz Consulting Group, Inc.