Re: XML5: Re: [xml-dev] MicroXML

On 16/12/2010 04:32, Henri Sivonen wrote:
> On Dec 14, 2010, at 05:17, David Carlisle wrote:
>
>> I've no complaint with html5 having defined fixup rules to give
>> consistent error recovery from overlapping markup and other
>> horrors, but I think the fact that it parses well formed XML and
>> produces different trees is just wrong.
>
> The easiest proof why it has to be this way is: There are Web pages
> that rely on the<html>  tag getting implied per HTML 4 when not
> present in the source text. Therefore, the HTML5 parsing algorithm
> always outputs a tree whose root element is html. There are XML
> documents whose root element is not html. Therefore, it has to be
> that there are well-formed XML documents that parse into different
> trees using an XML parser and an HTML parser.

Yes I nearly mentioned those cases as an exception:-) But you give the
example that's almost reasonable (html/head/body/tbody implication)
while not responding to the cases that actually cause the problems as
they affect the parsing of arbitrarily small fragments, namely /> and
the different handling of end tags for individual void elements.

It would have been possible to also stop implying html start tags if you
had been prepared to have a "more standards mode" implied by (say)
<!doctype html>
there were reasons for not doing that, but it's a choice made, not an
absolute rule that it would have been impossible to have a sensible
grammar for html.

David