Re: [xml-dev] Never mind the browser, let's do MicroXML

On Thu, 2010-12-16 at 09:18 -0700, Uche Ogbuji wrote:
[...]
> I do want to put one thing to bed: All this Vendor Capitalist Apprentice
> robot parroting of "what's the business case? Huh? Huh?"  Most of us work on
> XML tools, at various levels of the stack.  I've implemented at one time or
> another dozens of XML specifications.  The cost in unnecessary complexity of
> all this work is staggering.  For my part, I would love to have a path
> towards simplifying this work in the long term, even if it meant some added
> difficulty in the short term.  I can tell you from engagement with users
> that XML and some of its support standards as they are right now really
> introduce inefficiency all over the place.  It's not just having to again
> once a week explain why folks are failing to match default namespaced
> elements from XPath and the like.  It's all the cruft cases these lead to in
> the code.
>
> So nobody who matters for MicroXML should need some spiffy business case.

Actually you just gave one.

When I asked, what is the business case for the work, that's exactly the
sort of answer I wanted - who will benefit and how and why - and the
reason for asking is that it determines the focus of the work, and gives
a way to measure if you're succeeding.

Best,

Liam