Re: [xml-dev] Status of MicroXML?

Thought of writing on this thread.

I think for a standard based language (either from W3C or Oasis for
example), it must be fairly general purpose. Since we already have a
complete XML standard (XML 1.0 and 1.1), I thought it would probably
be fine if we can just move to XML 2.0 or 3.0 (as has been discussed
recently on other threads in this list) fixing things on which there
are sufficient consensus within our community.

If we are given a XML standard (1.0 or 1.1 currently), nobody stops us
from using a tiny subset of it -- and remain compliant to current XML
standard (like for e.g only using a well-formed layer, use validation
only if needed, using optional processing-instructions and so on).

IMHO producing a parallel MicroXML standard with no relation to
current XML 1.0 or 2.0 standard would create a huge disconnect with
the current XML community -- which I think is not a good idea.

My personal opinion would be to work on something like XML 2.0 or 3.0
(i.e we build on top of current XML stack -- adding and fixing things)
instead of forking on a different track (and using a name
XML[MicroXML..] for it).

Another idea is that MicroXML proponents might use a name like TinyXML
instead of MicroXML (since from the discussions I've heard so far,
MicroXML is a pretty close and non-extensible language so using word
"XML" as a suffix to this language name, to my opinion would confuse
the markup community).

--
Regards,
Mukul Gandhi