Re: [xml-dev] MicroASCII proposal

This is an interesting proposal Rick.  While I've no use for it myself, I
recognise that I don't represent every programmer, and if someone like you
finds it useful, there are likely to be many others that would also find it
useful.

I would suggest that you make MicroASCII a pure subset of full ASCII though.
That way, if someone initially doesn't need the full power of ASCII, they
can migrate to it later if they find the need without having to re-work and
potentially introduce lots of bugs.  Thus I would resist the urge to include
the extra NEL characters however attractive it appears to be.

So what do I see as the benefits of MicroASCII?  Well, as with any Micro???
format (as opposed to a 2.0 format) I can see that a MicroASCII could be a
useful starting point for people who want to learn how to use ASCII in their
systems, but don't need all the bells and whistles.  Learning to use a
recognised subset like MicroASCII well will hopefully give them a strong
grounding in how to make the most of full ASCII later.  Developers would
also find it much easier to support MicroASCII so there would be a wider
diversity of options available on the net for developers to chose from.  In
time such MicroASCII implementations may develop into full ASCII
implementations, and so developers would eventually have a much wider choice
of full ASCII implementations also.

Maybe it should be called 80/20ASCII along with 80/20XML and so on!

Good luck,

Pete Cordell
Codalogic Ltd
Interface XML to C++ the easy way using C++ XML
data binding to convert XSD schemas to C++ classes.
Visit http://codalogic.com/lmx/ or http://www.xml2cpp.com
for more info