Re: [xml-dev] union operator and predicates in XSLT patterns

At 2011-01-24 17:06 +0000, HILLMAN, Tomos wrote:
>Hi; just a quick query for my own understanding.  Apologies if I've
>gotten the wrong list.

XSLT and XPath questions would be better posted to the following list:

There are a number of subscribers who would enthusiastically respond
to such questions.

>I wanted to use both a union and operator in an XLST template, i.e.
>match="(div1|div2)[not(@role)]" (simplified).

Nope ... not allowed ... the parentheses grouping the union is not allowed.

You have to write the above as:

   match="div1[not(@role)] | div2[not(@role)]"

>This is, I think, equivalent in XPath 2.0 as
>"/*//(div1|div2)[not(@role)]", which I would expect to follow the
>rule for patterns in XSLT (the node $N matches pattern PAT if $N is
>a member of expression "root($N)//(PAT)".  However, this shows as invalid.
>
>Can someone explain this to me? :)

Simple restriction of the syntax.  The parentheses are a sequence
operator, in effect creating the sequence of the union of div1 and
div2.  Sequences are not allowed in match patterns.

Sequences are, of course, available to use in select= expressions.

I hope this helps.

--
Contact us for world-wide XML consulting & instructor-led training
Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/