What class of grammars is an =?UTF-8?Q?XPath=3F?=

 A correspondent recently asked me what formal class of grammars
 Schematron schemas belonged to.

 He was interested, I gather, because I gather he expected to be able to
 know what data structures would be needed for writing an implementation,
 since the position in a Chomsky hierarchy can tell you the minimum class
 of automaton.

 I told him first that I thought Schematron was not a useful fit in the
 Chomsky hierarchy,  see

 http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2010/07/validating-operator-grammars-i.html

 (You could also say it was an indexed tree grammar implementable with a
 branching automaton, perhaps.)

 Anyway, it is an interesting question. I think the same question could
 be asked, rephrased, as "what is the smallest class of formal grammars
 that every Xpath (evaluating to boolean) belongs to?"

 Anyone got any pointers or ideas on this? Pointers to any academic work
 would be really interesting.

 Cheers
 Rick Jelliffe