Re: [xml-dev] Long overdue update to the UBL to UN Layout Key free rendering environment

At 2011-01-31 13:35 +0000, Stephen Green wrote:
>Is there a term for this kind of PDF (with it's own data inside it
>as XML)?
>If not I reckon it's worth a few ideas to find a catchy one, isn't it?

Not that I know of.

But ... this approach isn't standardized anywhere.  I'm using my own
Crane namespace for the XMP metadata RDF section that contains the
XML in clear text.

Since XMP content cannot contain structured XML, only fielded XML,
the XML instance is reconstituted from the XDM in a single XMP field
as clear text and not as markup, thus requiring the second step of
serializing the clear text as markup.  Thankfully this is easy in
XSLT.  So I use Python to extract the XMP (if I'm not using Acrobat)
and XSLT to create the parsed content.

And I make these tools freely available so that the process is auditable.

I hope to publish a revision today that more accurately reflects the
actual input document syntax rather than the reconstituted input
document syntax in the XMP clear text.

I won't announce the revision here, but I have an RSS feed of
releases of all of our free developer resources and so revisions can
be found using this:

   http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/resources/crane-resources.rss

Do you have ideas, Stephen, for anything catchy to call this?

I'm hoping this will be of interest to others, but I haven't had any
feedback to know if the efforts were worthwhile.

If anyone working on standardizing PDF is interested in standardizing
a scheme for embedding XML in a PDF file, I'll gladly change what I'm doing.

Thanks, Stephen.

--
Contact us for world-wide XML consulting & instructor-led training
Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/