Re: [xml-dev] DTD vs XSD: No Duplicate Types in (Mixed) ContentModels

On 31/01/2011 14:22, Maik St├╝hrenberg wrote:

> But when in mixed content models duplicate types are not allowed -- why
> are they allowed in element content models? The additional #PCDATA of a
> mixed content model should have only little effect on the question of
> determinism, or do I forget anything (maybe the whitespace characters
> that are allowed...)?

If there is a #PCDATA token you can't use , or ? in dtd only
(#PCDATA|a|b|c)* and the deterministic content model rule explictly only
applies to element content.

> But your declaration is (of course) accepted by the parser because it is
> non-ambiguous. However, the question remains: why is the original

the requirement to check that teh content model is deterministic os
marked as "an error"
for compatibility (with SGML)

"an error" is not "fatal error" and so formally it means that the dtd is
in error but a system isn't obliged to report that. It may make it an
error, or may just give a warning, or may just work.