Re: [xml-dev] DTD vs XSD: No Duplicate Types in (Mixed) Content Models

Hi Maik,
    In the example you've cited below, in the first case the schema
defines 5 particles (the 5 element particles) while in the 2nd case
the schema defines only one particle (but whose cardinality is > 1,
and that is a deterministic schema to validate an XML instance
document).

If the XML document fragment was following, for example:
<b/>
<b/>
<b/>
<b/>

and if this was attempted to be validated by the Schema sequence
defined in your first case, then we should get a UPA violation (since
the XML Schema validator cannot determine that with which element
particle, the instance element should be validated).

As a side note: I think Xerces has an option to turn off UPA checking,
so you can perform a lax validation ignoring UPA concerns.

--
Regards,
Mukul Gandhi