Re: [xml-dev] XML Redux

On Tue, 2011-02-15 at 12:38 +0100, Piotr BaƄski wrote:

> Just wondering: since you're giving up canonical XML here anyway, would
> it not make sense to use e.g. LMNL, to address overlapping hierarchies
> -- or could they be handled differently (and still naturally) in the
> system you propose?

For my part I had meant to mention LMNL in my posting but it got too
late at night.

But my goal was to think about XML, and in particular some sort of
compatibility with existing XML software, and to see how small a subset
might be useful. (then, like most people, I got carried away and added
an incompatibility)

> I realise that the answer may be "you wouldn't use this for overlapping
> hierarchies", but they like to pop up anywhere uninvited, it's OHCO that
> appears to be the special case, at least for some domains.
Yes, that's true in the document world, and rarely true (I think) as you
move towards the pure data end of the spectrum.

Thanks for commenting!

Liam

The barefoot typographer