Re: [xml-dev] XML basics

On 3/1/11 9:05 AM, Michael Sokolov wrote:
> Yeah, this anti-node bias has me confused, too. node() gets used in all
> kinds of XML APIs like xpath and xquery, and it seems to mean pretty
> much the same thing there, and is a useful term. I must be missing some
> subtle source of confusion?

If you come from a computing culture that starts with nodes (as opposed
to, say, documents), you're not likely to see the source of confusion.

In my own experience, teaching actual markup instead of APIs and using
markup terminology (element and attribute, tag, etc.) rather than API
terminology (nodes) builds a much sounder platform for future conversation.

Then again, I've pretty much despaired at the data-centric path XML
usage took, so I'm not surprised by the bias toward programming
vocabulary.  I've pretty much lost this battle, but every now and then
still think it worth poking back.

--
Simon St.Laurent
http://simonstl.com/