Re: [xml-dev] RE: Abstraction in Science, Mathematics, Software, and Markup

Or even

  <xsd:complexType name="appliance-type">
        <xsd:sequence>
            <xsd:complexType type="string" />
        </xsd:sequence>
    </xsd:complexType>

What I have come across like this, though more abstract still because
it isnt specific about XML (which itself would be a concretion) or EDI
but an abstraction above those, is ISO 15000 CCTS. Here you define
core components which are composed of other core components and
core component types. They are what you might call the abstraction
(I'm not sure they are actually specified using that term at all though)
and the concrete entities for the core components are called business
information entities (BIEs). The BIEs MAY be represented using XML
(or EDI or whatever) - the CCTS doesn't specify how to represent
them. Universal Buisness Language implements this Core Components
Technical Specification as do quite a few other XML business languages.

----
Stephen D Green