RE: [xml-dev] C1 characters in XML 1.0 and HTML 4

> That is likely, yes. It might also come from some other set like Mac-
> Roman, though I've not checked what the code represents there (and I
> would not know if this wasn't a typo to begin with.)

In looking closer at the XML file, I see a mix of various Slavic languages, along
with typographic and other special symbols. In many cases, there are obvious
corruptions of characters, too, so I'm not sure what happened along the way.

> XML 1.0 documents may use C1 control characters. Obviously in you case
> you don't seem to actually mean to use C1 control characters.

That's correct. It seems to be the result of faulty processing of the initial input.

> And the SGML declaration for
> HTML 4.01 does mark the C1 control character as unused.)

Ah, yes, thanks for that reminder.

Thanks for the help, Björn.

Regards,
Mike