Re: [xml-dev] What is the correct terminology for an element andits namespace?

Hi Roger,

My guess is

(f) the element's name is a qualified name (QName) with a local name "Publisher", a namespace "http://www.book.org"; and an empty prefix

following the XML Namespace specification:

http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-names/

Furthermore, "http://www.book.org"; is declared as the default namespace and the scope of this binding is the element as well as is descendants.

Now, to be complete, if one only considers (as literally as possible) the original XML specification (without the namespace layer):

http://www.w3.org/TR/xml/

then I would also say that

(g) this element has the name "Publisher" and a reserved attribute with the name "xmlns" and the value "http://www.book.org";.

However to avoid confusion I would definitely rather use (f) above.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Ghislain