Re: [xml-dev] [October, 2006] Tim Berners-Lee: the attempt to getthe world to switch to XML ... didn't work

On Fri, 2011-04-08 at 08:50 -0400, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
> On 4/8/11 7:47 AM, Costello, Roger L. wrote:
[...]
>  The attempt
> >      to get the world to switch to XML, including quotes around
> >      attribute values and slashes in empty tags and namespaces
> >      all at once didn't work.
>
> Yeah, it didn't.  I don't think TimBL ever really "got" XML, though,

A lot didn't.  At no point did I ever expect XML to replace HTML, and
wen I joined W3C years later, I was surprised to see that management
seemed to view XML as basically a failed attempt to replace HTML.

For a while, NCSA Mosaic had a "Bad HTML" icon that lit up on errors; if
Netscape and IE had followed that lead maybe it might have made a
difference, but it's too late now.

Liam

Pictures from old books: http://www.fromoldbooks.org/
The barefoot typographer