RE: [xml-dev] RE: ANN: Portable Data Component -- start/end

I don't believe anything can be truly portable.
There is always a context.   This is not limited to XML but to everything.
But even if we limit ourselves to say language or data representations,
there is always  a context by which the words or datum are interpreted and
their meaning inferred.
So asking  for "absolute portability" is meaningless or impossible depending
on how you think of it.
Even then one must consider (or define) in what space things are being
"ported".   That is, what is the agreed on set of global context which need
not be specified in the datum.
Also many measurements of  portability are relative.    One might naively
attempt to assign a single number to the concept of "portability"
so that you could then compare one representation against another, but I
think that is not accurate.
There are many aspects of portability that are not comparable against each
other or depend on the environment.

The namespaces example is a good one.   It is not definitive if namespaces
add or remove portability.
The movie case may be better implemented using a start+duration instead of a
start+end ... and these could both be time only, in which case
the datum is portable across days.   If you used a datetime for start, then
the data is not portable across days.
So which is "more portable" ... It would depend on what you want it to mean
(single movie or occurrence) and what space you are trying to port (apps or
time ).

David A. Lee
dlee@calldei.com
http://www.xmlsh.org