RE: [xml-dev] Concerned about the increasing reliance on XPath

As a counter-contra-point I was of this same opinion in 2000 when I first
had to implement XML interfaces to a 4GL language ( Centura Desktop
Developer anyone ?  no ?)
My 'intuitive' feeling was that XPath was an unnecessary overhead.
I have since been 'converted'.   My current opinion is that with modern
implementations, the major area that XPath suffers is that it requires
true that some work has been done with 'streamable xpath' that can avoid
this is some cases, but in general, the high level XML tools in general
(XPath, XQuery, XSLT etc) are based on an in-memory representation.
(ignoring XML Databases for the moment).   This can be a problem ... but the
solution rarely is avoiding xpath, and xpath IMHO isnt the bottlneck.
You'll see similar performance writing your own code against an in-memory
tree.

If you really have a need to avoid loading the document into memory you need
to resort to streaming API's.  Its not the xpath thats the performance issue
in these cases, its the loading-xml-into-memory that is.
Fortunately there is some awesome work going on to support streamable
subsets into XPath, XSLT and XQuery ...

So to conclude, I would argue that reliance on xpath is not a bad thing at
all, its very good.
If you didn't have XPath you probably  couldn't implement your "simpler"
solution any more efficiently, and would loose in flexibility.

Side note <insert plug>  using Streaming API's doesn't always mean you have
to jump down a level of language.   In addition to the example given above
(streamable subsets of Xpath/XQuery/XSLT ) referenced above, xmlsh exposes a
very high level scriptable streaming API which I've used in production to
process huge amounts of XML (GB's) that wouldnt fit into memory nearly as
efficiently as a pure java implementation.   However the types of things you
can do with this API are limited to a narrow scope, mainly looking at the
current node, and skipping ahead to the next matching node.

Note this is still somewhat experimental and not fully documented yet but
you can get the idea here

http://www.xmlsh.org/FunctionsStAX

A simple example being

http://www.xmlsh.org/FunctionStAXgetData
http://www.xmlsh.org/FunctionStAXgetAttribute

<end plug>

But again, this really only gives a significant performance gain when
dealing with large documents and very simple operations.

David A. Lee
dlee@calldei.com
http://www.xmlsh.org