Re: [xml-dev] Concerned about the increasing reliance on XPath

An example of the reasons for my exacerbations with XPath
and my own questions about reliance on it

I've been trying XPath expressions which would be tests I
could apply to some XML for validation during processing
(of a dataset in some ASP.NET, in this case, which seems
a sensible use case).

Here is an example fragment

<a xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"; version-id="0.4"
    xmlns="http://example.com";>

In XPath 1.0
/default:a/@version-id = 0.4 returns true
but  /a/@version-id = 0.4 returns false

In XPath 2.0
/default:a/@version-id = 0.4 returns an error (prefix not bound)
and  /a/@version-id = 0.4 returns true

(I tried these out in Oxygen and I trust the results)

In my own case I'd start off with XPath 1.0 as it is there out-of-the-box
in my particular toolbase but later I would imagine there might be a
reason to progress to XPath 2.0. It would look to me is if all the XPaths
would need review in that case and some awkward gotchas might occur
and developers might have to learn about lots of subtle and barely explicable
nuances and differences between the versions, etc. I'd be reluctant to
encumber them with this by chosing this approach to validating the XML
beyond what I get with XSD but overall there doesn't seem to be an
easier/better alternative so I'd probably still go ahead.

----
Stephen D Green