RE: [xml-dev] RE: Concerned about the increasing reliance on XPath

Hi Mike,

> What does your "assessment" step really do anyway?  You didn't say.

There are many ways that one may wish to analyze an XML instance document. For the "purchase XML instance document" we may wish to analyze it to determine:

- is the value of <Total> a decimal value (and nothing else)
- will the instance document, when evaluated, trigger unexpected and undesirable actions
- is the value of <Total> equal to the sum of its Item siblings
- perform an algebraic data type analysis

And many other types of analyses.

/Roger