From what you are saying, it depends entirely on the implementer. If the implementer implements Unicode 2.0 then Nd may consist of 600 characters. If the implementer implements Unicode 2.1 then Nd may consist of 610 characters. And this is the case whether I'm using XSLT, XML Schema, RELAX NG, etc. Right?

/Roger

-----Original Message-----
From: David Carlisle [mailto:davidc@nag.co.uk]
Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2011 9:28 AM
To: Costello, Roger L.
Cc: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Your XML documents may use different sets of characters, depending on which implementer you select?

On 17/05/2011 14:10, Costello, Roger L. wrote:
> The XML specification mandates version 2.0 of Unicode.
>
> Phew! That removes the variability in set of characters that may be used in XML documents.

No. You can use (more or less) any codepoint in xml character data
irrespective of whether it has been assigned a character in any version
of unicode. (The situation with respect to characters in element and
attribute names is more complicated, and changed radically at unicode 1
5th edition or xml 1.1)

David