Re: [xml-dev] XML Namespaces 1.1

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 2:25 PM, Liam R E Quin <liam@w3.org> wrote:
> So people would start having an expectation that parsers would accept
> markup that they currently reject.

This is just not a good argument. I do not write XSLT 2.0 code and
expect that most XSLT parsers can deal with it. I don't write SOAP 1.2
expecting older implementations to understand me. I don't write HTML5
applications expecting older browsers and applications to work (or,
IE<9). I don't even expect the latest word processor to be able to
deal with my early 90's documents. You cannot refute anything based on
what is an expectation, and one certainly should not stop progress
because of it.

Expectations are very different from what you get through defined
versions. Put differently, I often pop align="center" into a quick
HTML mashup, expecting it to work. But these days it doesn't. And I
have to use my brain to re-adjust and do the right thing rather than
relying on some expectation. And getting rid of the align attribute
was definitely the right thing to do.

Not sure why XML changes are regarded as so much more difficult than
HTML or any other faster moving standard. It's all just versions.

Regards,

Alex
--
 Project Wrangler, SOA, Information Alchemist, UX, RESTafarian, Topic Maps