Re: [xml-dev] XML Namespaces 1.1

On Wed, 2011-05-25 at 09:51 +0100, Pete Cordell wrote:

> As I understand it, <foo:bar/> is an XML well-formed document, but is not an
> XML Namespace well-formed document.

> So rather than doing:
>     <com.foo:bar/>
> I would suggest doing:
>     <:com.foo:bar/>

> This is XML well-formed, but the initial colon means that it is not XML
> namespace well-formed.  You could claim that it was XML namespace-bis
> well-formed though.

Note that if you start using names like com.foo, you lose the use case
of copying HTML fragments from (say) RSS/Atom into HTML, where typically
you want the same local-name to be copied, but the namespaces are
actually (strictly speaking) different.

I don't have a way to measure the relative frequencies of the various
use cases, though.