Re: [xml-dev] SVG and MathML in HTML5

On 5/28/11 4:58 AM, Jesper Tverskov wrote:
> Personally I don't like that a new W3C spec is allowed to undermine
> several of the most fundamental concepts of XML. It might make things
> marginally easier in HTML but it is bound to cause a lot of trouble in
> the XML world.

Yes.  The HTML5 core community, however, has rarely missed an
opportunity to cause trouble for the XML world.  A strange
spittle-flecked rage over XHTML seems to motivate its creators for
reasons I've never understood.

> Why have we allowed all this to happen?

The browser vendors have put their power behind a few remarkably
obstinate individuals and decreed that HTML5 will be what those people
say it will be.  The W3C has trimmed around the edges, provoking screams
every time they proposed a significant change.

The rest of us have let it happen because we got so tired of the browser
vendors doing absolutely nothing that anything happening feels like an
improvement.  Some of the pieces are genuine improvements, even. Just
not all.

--
Simon St.Laurent
http://simonstl.com/