Proposed standard terminology: "resolve" is the term uses todescribe the determination of constraints on a simpleType

Hi Folks,

1. I propose that the term "resolve" be adopted as the standard term used to describe the determination of constraints on an XML Schema simpleType. See below for a brief discussion of "determining the constraints on a simpleType."

2. I propose the term "resolved" be adopted as the standard term used to describe the result after applying "resolve" on a simpleType.

3. I propose that "resolve" be a standard function in all programming libraries for processing XML Schemas. Here is its function signature:

        resolve :: simpleType -> Resolve

Read as: The function "resolve" takes an XML Schema simpleType as its argument and returns a representation of the constraints on the simpleType.

The representation of a resolved simpleType may be varied. The typeclass "Resolve" indicates that there may be varied representation.

Any comments on this proposed standardization?

/Roger

EXAMPLE OF DETERMINING THE CONSTRAINTS ON A SIMPLETYPE

Consider this simpleType:

    <simpleType name="BostonAreaSurfaceElevation">
            <restriction base="EarthSurfaceElevation">
                    <maxInclusive value="120"/>
            </restriction>
    </simpleType>

It restricts this simpleType:

    <simpleType name="EarthSurfaceElevation">
            <restriction base="integer">
                    <minInclusive value="-1290"/>
                    <maxInclusive value="29035"/>
            </restriction>
    </simpleType>

Analyzing this "simpleType dependency chain" we see that BostonAreaSurfaceElevation is an integer simpleType and is constrained as follows:

- The minInclusive value is -1290

- The maxInclusive value is 120

This example is very simple. In general, a simpleType dependency chain may be long (A restricts B which restricts C which restricts B etc.) and determining the constraints on a simpleType could be quite involved.