Re: [xml-dev] Error and Fatal Error

It's a bane to developers that parsers regard errors in XML
as fatal which need not be fatal, IMO.

e.g. the .NET parser causes me grief when code falls over
because of illegal characters and the only thing I can find to
do is to recover from the error by catching it with its line
number and using that to find and replace the illegal character
with the respective escape sequence. It would be better, I
think, if the XML spec instructed parsers to fail such that
such characters could still be replaced without there being
any kind of exception beforehand. That's my opinion because
once an exception has occurred the state of the parser isn't
as safe as you'd really like it to be.

see my blog post about this http://stephengreenxml.blogspot.com/2011/03/xml-special-character-gotchas.html

So it would be better for future versions of XML (influenced
perhaps by recent discussion related to MicroXML on this list)
if the specs gave less of a push towards parsers regarding
errors as fatal. That is my opinion but I think is an opinion
of more and more others (or more and more frequently
expressed anyway).
----
Stephen D Green