Re: [xml-dev] [ANN] Candle 0.9.1 Beta Release - a new scripting language for ...

Hi Bill

Thanks for sharing your document and thoughts on the unification of XML technologies.

I've browse through your document during the week end. And I think we have many ideas in common. However, I felt your document is a bit high-level, and it will be great if there's more detailed specification of your language.

blog article on Candle's approach towards the "grand unification":

http://candleapp.blogspot.com/2011/08/towards-grand-unification.html

One thing I'd like to highlight is that I think you might have a wrong impression of the procedural features in Candle. Candle does support procedural features in order to be a general-purpose programming language. But they are
much higher-level than those in the conventional procedural languages. Candle is designed to be as functional as possible and it deliberately restricts the usage of assignment operation. Data construction, evaluation, pattern matching, query and transformation all uses high level functional features and never need assignment. And node update uses CRUD statements rather than assignment operation. And there's the separation-of-side-effects mechanism to preserve the pure functional features. The only case in Candle that needs assignment is in while-loop (Candle differentiates variable initialization and re-assignment).

I'll write more blog articles on the details of the design rationales, considerations and trade-offs made while creating Candle. And I'll be glad to hear feedback from you and the xml-dev list.

Regards

Henry