RE: [xml-dev] Build Rich Complexity from a Small Set ofWell-Defined Markup Combinators

I agree, Bruce.  It is useful, I found, to understand where the
orthogonal requiements come from and possibly why.   As in any tool we
use, there is a politics of the production and the content and they
can't be ignored or we will be ascribing to the boat or the oar a
constraint of the hand on the oar.   For that reason, I was a strong
supporter of keeping DTDs although I appreciate the separation of
syntax from structure XML affords.  Chasing a single > or < or " etc
through 3k lines of markup when the tool doesn't tell me where the
fault is can be .... tedious... but it is easy to see what the problem
is.  Halt and catch fire is problematic if sane.

On the other hand, being able to stare back across a room full of very
important but not very well trained people and say to them "the SOW
cites This and This Has This DTD and This DTD governs this process by
contract and therefore you cannot have text there because you don't
spec a container for it" and be able to prove that beyond dispute has
immeasurable value to the organization and the schedule not to mention
the cost.

It pays to have the map even if you have to lose three crews to get
one.  Machines may cross the ocean but they have to float long enough
and be fast enough to get their contents to the other side and
hopefully back.  A complex map with too many features can be almost as
bad as none when you sail into snark-infested waters because fewer
people can read it much less understand it.  For that reason, DTDs are
useful.  As someone said, "If you can read a DTD then x is not too
hard" but in all too many cases people can't read a DTD.   This
surprises me but it is so.

We tend to forget we ARE The Elite. :)

len